IPL 2020: No Foreign players till April 15

India have confirmed 60 positive cases in the COVID-19 Coronavirus outbreak which has led to over 4,500 deaths globally.

The Indian government issued a fresh advisory with a ban on all foreign visas, except a few categories like diplomatic and employment, till April 15 amid the novel coronavirus scare in the country.


As a result, No foreign player will be available until April 15 due to the aforementioned restrictions imposed by the Indian government.

"The foreign players who play in the IPL come under the Business Visa category. As per the government's directive, they can't come till April 15," a BCCI source told PTI on conditions of anonymity.

The new edition of the Indian Premier League is scheduled to start on March 29.

HIGHLIGHTS

  • India has imposed stringent travel curbs due to the growing number of COVID-19 cases
  • World Health Organisation on Wednesday declared coronavirus as a pandemic with India registering 73 cases so far
  • Supreme Court on Thursday refused an urgent hearing on plea to postpone IPL 2020 amid the virus scare
Chennai Super Kings CEO Kasi Vishwanathan has made it clear that the fresh visa advisory from the Indian government has made it almost impossible for foreign players to join their respective teams in the 13th edition of the Indian Premier League (IPL) before April 15 unless the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) gets special permission.
Speaking to IANS, the CSK CEO said that most of the foreign players are booked on business visas and in such a scenario the fresh advisory sent out by the government on Wednesday says that they won't be allowed entry till April 15.
"Most of the players are travelling with business visas and that is how they come and play in the IPL. So, it will be impossible for them to join the teams unless the BCCI gets special permission. As of now, it is not possible as the diktat is pretty clear and we cannot go against the government," he said.
Asked what could be the best way forward, he said: "The BCCI needs to sit down with the government and I mean both the central and the state governments across the board and get to some understanding on how they need to go forward. Unless special permission is given, it will not be possible for foreign players to join the teams."
A second meeting of the Group of Ministers on Wednesday cancelled all visas, except for a few official categories, till April 15 in the wake of the growing coronavirus scare.
In the meeting held at Nirman Bhavan in the national capital, it was decided that all existing visas, except diplomatic, official, UN/international organisations, employment and project visas, stand suspended till April 15 as the coronavirus outbreak has already seen over 60 positive cases in India.


Post a Comment

0 Comments